Statement on Racism and Protests
As Christians, we believe…
- in the equality of all people (Galatians 3:28) and that the different races should be celebrated as part of God’s creative handiwork.
- that everyone has the right to be treated with respect and dignity (1 Peter 2:17). We are deeply saddened by the death of George Floyd and recognize that the civil rights of all persons should be respected at all times.
- that people should be able to express their concern for the mistreatment of people of any color in America by joining together in peaceful protest (Proverbs 31:9).
- that the people who are rioting and looting businesses should be held accountable by the authorities (Romans 13:4) as they are not accomplishing anything good through their actions. In fact, by breaking the law, they are missing out on the opportunity to make an important statement to our authorities and elected officials that everyone is deserving of fair and equal treatment under the law.
- for justice for all those involved in the taking of George Floyd’s life and any others who have committed crimes in the aftermath of his death.
- that our president, governors, and mayors will set aside partisan politics by measuring their words carefully and leading in a way that fosters peace, justice, and order in the American people.
- that peace and order will be restored to the streets of the United States.
- that the lawful actions of all the parties involved will lead to increased trust and respect for one another.
- that the gospel of Jesus Christ will shine forth as the only message of rescue from our human condition.
- for our African American brothers and sisters in Christ as they balance the pursuit of justice with the desire to be peacemakers and reconcilers in their communities.
- for all those victimized by acts of looting and violence and for first responders who deliberately put themselves in harm's way to protect people and property.